If you have musical talent, a love for music, any experience with an instrument, or just want a fun way to make some extra money then I have an awesome side hustle for you! I’m going to teach you how to make money selling sheet music. It’s really easy to do and can be a great way to get some passive income flowing.
Please note this post may contain affiliate links and ads, read my full disclosure here.
I have had a love for music since I was a little girl. My mom taught me piano and as I got older I added a few more instruments to my repertoire including trumpet, French horn, guitar, and recently the ukelele. I now teach piano and it has been a wonderful way to earn money from home (you can learn more about my piano teaching here). If you have any musical abilities, it can be instrument, vocal, theory, etc. then an awesome way to profit from your talent is to sell sheet music online. I just recently added this new side hustle to my repertoire and I’m looking forward to having another passive revenue stream going. I recommend selling your music at SheetMusicPlus.com. If you haven’t been to their site before, click here to take a look around. They’re a great site that I’ve used for my piano students many times! Let me tell you a few reasons why I recommend them, then when you’re ready to submit your music, click here to begin selling.
- They have over 1,000,000 million print and digital sheet music titles.
- They sell music for choir & voice, piano, instrumental, band & orchestra, religious, and more!
- Thousands of instant downloads available for as low as $.99.
- They provide “look inside” images and sound clips for most products.
- Been around since 1997.
- Earn 45% commission.
- Worldwide exposure to millions of buyers.
- You retain the copyright to your music.
- You can legally arrange 1000s of popular copyrighted songs through ArrangeMe with SMP Press.
- It’s free to join and start selling.
- Easy to add mp3 audio clips of your songs.
- You set the price for your arrangements.
- Create your music. I use a program called Noteflight to make the pdf arrangements.
- Sign up for SMP Press (this is the area for the composers, it’s free!)
- Upload your pdf arrangement.
- Fill in as much info about the arrangement as you’d like. You can include an MP3 sample of the song, add a cover to the pdf, etc.
- Click the “submit your music” button and SMP will review your product and then notify you when it’s listed. This doesn’t usually take long, only about 24 hrs for me.
- Promote your product. They’ll send you a link and promotion ideas.
- Earn your commission! Get paid via check, Paypal, or SMP gift certificate.
The awesome thing about digital downloads and selling on sites like this is once you’ve submitted your music then you’re done! You now have a passive income stream that you can work on whenever you have time or never again and still make money! It’s similar to how I feel about selling stock photography! Love it!! If you want to check out the first song I submitted click here. My 10 year old helped me compose it!
Now go dust off the old trombone and get your musical juices flowing like back in the good old days of marching band!